Hello Guys, how are you all? You are all very welcome to Meowdroid. Our era today is the age of the Internet. The Internet is a huge network that connects computers from all over the world. It provides the wonderful facility of providing important information to any person sitting in any corner of the world. Through this, we can easily exchange information by connecting a computer placed in any one place to any one or more computers.
Through the Internet, we can easily send large or small messages or any type of information from one computer to another computer or digital device such as tablets and mobiles in a few seconds. But here comes the question, where does the internet come from our devices? And how are we able to send a message from one device to another? In our devices, we are able to use the Internet in two ways. One through the cellular network and the other through an internet connection. When we are able to access the internet across devices, except for cellular networks, we connect the device to the internet through a modem and the data we send from one device to another can be done with the help of a router. Which is connected to the Internet.
Both modems and routers help us to provide internet service to our devices. But not everyone knows what is the difference between these two. So that’s why today in this article we are going to tell you about the difference between modem and router. So let’s first know What a modem is?
What is Modem?
The word Modem consists of Mod ie Modulator and Dem meaning Demodulator. It is a device that converts a digital signal into an analog signal and an analog signal into a digital signal. That is, the modem does the modulation and demodulation of the signal. Modems are used to communicate two computers to each other via a telephone line. Here you need to know that the computer works on digital mode whereas analog technology is used to exchange messages in telephone lines.
A modem is an input and output device that is used to both send and receives information or data on telephone lines. Telephone lines send data and information in analog form, not in digital form. Therefore a modem is also a conversion tool that converts the signal of one device into a signal that can be understood by another device. Let us now know how the modem works.
How Does Modem Work?
Guys, we know that only analog signals can be communicated by telephone line. Digital signals cannot be communicated. But by converting a digital signal into an analog signal by computer, communication is done by telephone line to other modems. Where the analog signal is again converted to a digital signal by other modems and received on another computer. This process is called modulation and demodulation. The modulator part of the modem converts a digital signal into an analog signal and the Demodulator part converts an analog signal into a digital signal. In this way, data is transferred from one computer to another via a modem.
Types Of Modem
Modems used to be dial-up when the first modem was produced in 1962. This meant dialing a phone number in the modem to connect the device to the ISP. These modems operated over phone lines and used the frequency of telephone calls, limiting the maximum data transfer rate to 56Kbps.
- Dialup modems make full use of the local telephone line. So users can either run the internet or make voice calls at one go. In recent times many changes have been made in modems and today DSL and cable modems are used which are also known as broadband devices.
- DSL modems also operate on standard telephone lines but use the Higher frequency range. DSL modems allow a higher data transfer rate than dial-up modems and also don’t prevent voice calls.
- Cable modems send and receive data over television lights, which is usually a coaxial cable. Most cable modems support Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) which provides an efficient way to easily transmit TV, cable internet, and digital phone signals efficiently across a single cable line.
- Broadband modems are also known as high-speed modems and are used today to access the internet everywhere. Let move and know what is the router and how it works.
What is Router?
A router is a small electronic device that connects computer networks together via a wired or wireless connection. A router connects one computer network to another computer network therefore it is also called an internetworking device. Connecting a network to the Internet requires a router to be connected to a modem. So most routers have a special Ethernet port designed to connect to the Ethernet port of a cable or DSL modem.
The router consists of a CPU and several types of digital memory and input-output interfaces. With the help of a router, the Internet is provided to all those computers through a physical interface connection to more than one computer available in the network. But these computers cannot connect directly to the Internet through a router. This requires the router to be connected to a device that can provide an Internet connection to those computers, and that device is a modem, so the router’s position is between your modem and the computer.
How Does Router Works?
The job of a router is to transmit data from one computer to another. It works by sending data from one network to another network in the form of packets. Its main job is to receive the packets and the receiver or IP address remains in these packets. The router checks this address with the address of the computers in its network and then sends the data by finding the shortest path to pass that packet to the correct destination receiver. This is how these networking devices work. There are two types of routers in the modern world, one is a broadband router and the other is a wireless router.
Broadband routers can perform a variety of tasks that are used to interconnect computers and connect to the Internet. The wireless router sends data to the device via the Internet and for this, the device acts as a wireless access point. Hence it shares the data through a radio signal rather than any other cable. A wireless router creates an area within which all computers, tablets, mobiles, etc can use the Internet. In this, the password and IP address are used for security.
Difference Between Modem and Router
Now let’s talk about what is the difference between a modem and a router? Now you must have understood about modems and routers how they work. The work of these two is to provide Internet service to the computers but there are some differences between them. Let’s get to know them.
- The first difference is that the modem allows us to access the Internet via the phone line in the traditional way, and the router’s job is to connect the modem with the digital signal coming from it to more than one computer or device. This means that the router cannot connect us directly to the Internet.
- A router without a modem cannot provide us with an internet facility. But a modem can provide us with internet without a router.
- Modems can only provide an Internet connection to a single computer. While a router can extend an Internet connection to each computer by connecting more than one computer at a time.
- Internet access can be provided by connecting devices to Wi-Fi wirelessly through a router, but this is not possible in the case of modems. Devices need a wire or cable to access the Internet from a modem.
- Routers can create local networks such as computers, printers, scanners, and mobiles, etc. They can create a network in which data and files can be shared in addition to sharing an Internet connection. Whereas creating a local network in a modem is impossible. Only an internet facility can be found from this.
So guys, hope you know what modems and routers are? How do they work? And what is the difference between them? If you want to use the internet at home on different devices, then you must also use the router with the modem as the router increases the speed of the internet and provides an internet connection to each device with the same bandwidth. You can easily use the internet on your device by compressing with speed. Friends, it is always my endeavor that through our articles you can get complete information on the given topic. So that you don’t have to go anywhere else.
If there is any problem related to this article, Modem Vs Router, then you can tell in the comment section so that we can remove your problem as soon as possible. If you like this article then share it as much as possible so that information can be reached to other people as well.